5 Features to Check for Before Buying a Face Wash for Dry Skin
If you have dry skin, you would have tried all available tricks in the trade to deal with it. It can get mighty frustrating when you use a moisturizing/hydrating face wash that does more harm than good by stripping your skin of essential oils. It happens when a face wash for dry skin has ingredients like sulfates and mineral oils.
But before you get alarmed and dump that face wash, know that cleansing is a part of your skincare routine. There is dirt, makeup, and oil buildup on your skin throughout the day. You should clean these before bedtime. A face wash that reduces dryness will clean, refresh your skin, and provide hydration.
What makes our skin drier?
You have dry skin if it feels flaky, itchy, or rough. The reason could be harsh cleansers, sun damage, or dry and cold weather. In addition, you could face dry skin seasonally, which means your skin will feel tight and dry in the winter but oily in the summer.
Or you could experience it around the year. Usually, you can manage dry skin with proper cleansing, moisturization, and sun protection on your own. But, in rare cases, you may also have to see a skin care expert. To effectively control the dry, itchy sensation, pick the right moisturizer and face wash for dryness.
Why do you need a face wash that’s meant for dry skin?
It’s not just oil that you need to get off your skin. Dry skin can still gather oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells during the day. Add makeup and sunscreen to the list, and you have stuff that can get inside its layers and cause inflammation. You should gently cleanse your face at night to get rid of these.
Tip: Don’t scrub or massage vigorously. Follow it up with a night cream that will nourish your skin as you sleep.
Buying a face wash for dry skin? Here are 5 Factors you should check for
When the skin’s sebaceous glands produce less oil, it feels dry. Some chemically-enriched face cleansers designed to remove dirt and oil from the skin can make it drier. However, it can cause long-term damage and make your skin sensitive. Therefore, a hydrating face wash and moisturizer are essential to keep your skin healthy. Here’s what you should be looking for in a face wash for dry skin:
- Hyaluronic Acid: A gentle hydrator, hyaluronic acid draws moisture from the atmosphere and locks it into your skin. It is a humectant that will keep your skin hydrated and save it from drying out.
- Niacinamide: A form of Vitamin B3, niacinamide helps balance sebum secretion. It helps boost the natural skin barrier and improves skin texture. It also helps the skin’s natural ability to hydrate, especially when combined with other ingredients like hyaluronic acid.
- Absence of Ceramides: These help battle parched and dry skin by forming a protective layer, helping the skin retain moisture. Ceramides also have nourishing and anti-aging properties that make your skin look younger.
- Glycerin: Glycerin, a humectant like hyaluronic acid, moisturizes and soothes the skin. By attracting water, it helps the skin retain moisture. It also protects the skin from environmental irritants by boosting its natural moisture barrier.
- pH-balancing: The thin, acidic layer on the top of your skin, called the acid mantle, protects it from viruses, bacteria, and other invaders. Sebum produced by your skin, combined with sweat, creates this pH layer. As a result, a harsh cleanser may strip the skin of its natural pH.
You can also include products with lactic acids or aloe vera, both humectants, to keep it hydrated. Ingredients like lipids, shea butter, and oatmeal are emollients that soften skin texture by restoring its natural barriers.
What to avoid when you have dry skin?
The first rule is saying no to soaps and harsh cleansers that include sulfates. If a cleanser/soap leaves your skin feeling tight, irritated, or drier, it’s not the right one for your skin. Such products strip the skin of its natural oils. Instead, use milder, soap-free cleansers that don’t wash away the skin’s oils.
As a general checklist, you should keep the following dos and don’ts in mind:
- Alcohol: We know that alcohol dehydrates the body. In skin care products, it dries out the skin by sucking water. It can cause redness, sensitivity, irritation, or other problems.
- Fragrances: If you have dry and sensitive skin, stay as far from added fragrances as possible! They can cause flakiness and irritation and aggravate existing conditions.
- Avoid parabens: Parabens can make the skin over-sensitive and cause allergic reactions. In addition, they increase UV-induced cellular level damage and can cause severe inflammation.
- Don’t scrub: You don’t need a scrubber for dry skin. Aggressive rubbing or scrubbing can irritate the skin. You should thus massage your face with a gentle face wash or cleanser gently with your hands and delicately pat your skin dry. Rubbing with a towel is also a strict no.
- Be wary of too much exfoliation: It is a good idea to exfoliate the skin to help it absorb moisturizers better. However, scrubs can also damage dry skin. So don’t use harsh fruit scrubs. Also, exfoliate only once or twice a week.
The best face wash for dry skin
If you are worried about aggravating your dry skin with harsh cleansers or soaps, cutting face wash out of your routine is not the answer! Your skin is still prone to oil buildup, dirt, and impurities. These, in addition to makeup and sunscreen, can get into the layers of the skin and cause inflammation or acne. Thus, it is important to use a face wash for dry skin to give your skin a clean, youthful appearance.
Go for a gentle cleansing face wash devoid of harsh cleansers or sulfates. Read the list of ingredients before you buy a cleansing face wash. Include one with a humectant like hyaluronic acid, or added moisturizers like glycerin or ceramides. This will help maintain an even, supple skin tone when followed up with the right moisturizer.
Mamaearth’s Aloe Vera Face Wash will help you have the best cleansing experience if you have dry skin. It is naturally moisturizing and will take out dust and grime from your facial skin in a hassle-free manner.
Bugged by mosquitos? They can also hurt your skin’s texture
Mosquitos can be quite a menace in the summer and rainy seasons. These are also the two seasons when skincare issues are at their peak. This is why you should also invest in a good-quality natural mosquito repellent that keeps the bugs away.
You may try Mamaearth’s Natural Mosquito Repellent Spray, which is DEET-free and offers natural protection against mosquitoes. It is perfect for both indoors and outdoors. It is safe and gentle because it features Citronella oil, Eucalyptus oil, Peppermint oil, and Lemon oil that help keep the bugs away. This natural mosquito repellent is also safe for young children and babies.
Note: You should pick a suitable face wash for dry skin treatment. Those offered by Mamaearth could help you avail of the best skincare experience. Mamaearth’s products are toxin-free and made from natural, gentle ingredients on the skin.