Secure Your Linksys Router’s WiFi Network With These Tips
Linksys is known for manufacturing top-notch WiFi routers that facilitates you with a tremendous WiFi experience. But, after installing a Linksys WiFi router, it becomes your responsibility to secure its WiFi network. This is because a large number of hackers wait to break into your router’s wireless network. They can even access your personal data. So, to prevent your personal information from being manipulated by intruders, you need to take care of the security of its WiFi network. Wondering how to secure your Linksys WiFi network? Let’s figure it out.
Tips to Secure Linksys Router’s WiFi Network
1. Set a Strong Password
A lot of Linksys users commit the mistake of not setting a strong WiFi password for their router’s network. If you are also doing the same mistake, then we recommend you rectify it. If you have set your personal details as the Linksys WiFi password, change it to a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
If you are unaware of the steps to change the password of Linksys WiFi network, then we have listed ones for you:
- Turn on your Linksys WiFi router after plugging it into a working wall socket.
- Once the power LED on your Linksys WiFi router stabilizes, then make a stable Ethernet connection between your WiFi devices.
- Open a web browser on your PC and access the web-based setup page of your Linksys WiFi router.
- Perform Linksys router login by filling in the default username and password of your WiFi device.
- Now, click Wireless.
- Select the Wireless Security tab.
- Enter the preferred WiFi password for your Linksys WiFi network in the Passphrase field.
- Click Save Settings.
- The WiFi password of your Linksys WiFi network will be changed.
2. Enable Wireless MAC Filter
It is one of the most effective methods to secure your Linksys WiFi network. You can set wireless access for the devices that can connect to your router’s WiFi network. You can permit or deny wireless devices to connect to the WiFi network.
Here are the steps to enable the wireless MAC filter on your Linksys router’s WiFi network:
- Access the Linksys router’s web-based setup page.
- Click on the Wireless option and select Wireless MAC Filter.
- Select the Enabled button.
- Now, allow or deny access to wireless devices connected to your router’s network.
- Lastly, save the changes you’ve made.
3. Update the Firmware
Every Linksys WiFi device has software embedded in it which is known as firmware. It controls the overall performance of your router. Apart from that, the firmware also fixes bugs and errors. Keeping the firmware up to date is a great way of improving the security of your Linksys WiFi network. The reason is, it prevents the router from potential threats. So, log in to your Linksys WiFi router and update its firmware if a new version is available.
Note: If you own a Linksys Velop extender, you can update its firmware using the Linksys app.
4. Hide the Network Name
It can be a masterstroke in securing your Linksys WiFi network. By doing so, you’ll prevent the Linksys WiFi name to appear on the network list. To hide the network name of your Linksys WiFi router, follow the steps given below:
- Log in to your Linksys WiFi router.
- Click the Wireless option.
- Look for the SSID broadcast option.
- Once found, select Disabled.
- Do not forget to click the Save Settings button.
Now, your Linksys router’s network name will no longer be visible to anyone. So, it is secure from intruders.
This was all about how to secure your Linksys WiFi network. Here’s to hope that you’ll be able to protect your Linksys router’s WiFi network from unauthorized users with the help of the aforementioned tips.